Thursday, April 24, 2008

We got a BAHA!



Jansen, Jordan, Pat Pat and I went to see Lauren (audiologist) today to get Jansen a loaner Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA). The minute we put it on, he walked away and continued playing cars with Jordan.

After a few minutes he walked over to us and said "take it off, it's to loud." We explained to him what was going on, and then he continued to play more.
We watched him for about 25 minutes with it on and he did fine. I took it off for the ride home, but we talked about it a few times and Jansen said he couldn't wait to show daddy.

We will try the loaner out for 6 months. If he likes it and asks to wear it, we will try and get him one through insurance (this should be fun).
If he doesn't care for it to much, then I will know we tried and won't have any regrets later in life.

Once we got home he wore it for 15 minutes. I noticed while outside he could localized where the sounds were coming from.
He heard birds far away and turned (the correct way) to look for them. I started crying a little when he did this. This will be a rough few weeks getting him used to wearing it.

I have found a great website for BAHA products. I just ordered Jansen a hat, and different kinds of headbands. http://www.forwerd.net/



HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your pictures, good blog!
I just hope you use Vista!

Kimberly said...

Found your blog through an email you sent over the Atresia/Microtia support group. My daughter Mackenzie wass born with the same deformity and we love in the over the border in SC. COngrats on your loaner BAHA. we have been denied for 4.5 years. It has been a struggle. I am so happy you are getting this opportunity. My blog is currently private but I would love to chat.
kimmymacd@hotmail.com

God Bless-
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Alison, the band doesn't look bad at all. I hope he gets used to it. Nancy