Friday, January 7, 2011

Talk with Dr. Eavey

Today I got a call from another doctor to discuss Jansen and his current situation. I was VERY impressed with Dr. E, and very thankful that he would discuss his background knowledge with me even though he wasn't Jansen's doctor. As I was talking to him, I had to read between the lines a lot. He wouldn't tell me what he recommended, but I could tell right off.

Here is a little bit of our conversation:

Dr. E: What is happening to Jansen does happen, but not very often. If the cartilage stays moist and doesn't dry out, over time the exposed cartilage will melt away and skin will grow back in the problem area.

Dr. E: You could do a "skin flap" to correct the problem. (I could tell he didn't think we should do this yet).

Dr. E: Some doctors leave spare cartilage under a patients scalp and he could replace the problem area with this new cartilage instead of cutting more out, but not sure what our doctor did, it's hard to tell.

Dr. E: Since Jansen's history (2 failed revisions) cartilage is to far gone to try and close it up again the way we have tried.

Dr. E: Make sure his ear doesn't get infected...and overtime it will turn brown/tan and cartilage will disappear leaving a little scar.

Me: After taking all this in and writing LOTS of notes about what he is saying...I asked Dr. Eavey if he would work on Jansen if we decided to change doctors? He said he would, but didn't see a need for another surgery right now.


After the conversation, I was relieved to know that Dr. Jones is doing ALL the right things.




No comments: